Monday, April 11, 2011

The election

So I've got to come clean... I'm doing a horrible job of following the election. Why? Cause I'm in the eye of the storm. I see glimpses of things flying past me but ultimately... I answer the phone in the non-partisan constituency office. Yes people call on a variety of issues but overall I mainly pass them off to the person best able to deal with their issue. Oh what my political science BA has gotten me (I'm fresh out of school).

I'm highly left leaning, a good website to check out where your views put you on the Canadian political spectrum is Voter Compass brought to you by CBC. Very neat tool that will hopefully get people thinking and perhaps even shedding their partisan ways; "Oh my father and his father voted this way so I do too" should not be as commonplace as it is.

Another really cool website new this year is LeadNow. They started with local gatherings, very grassroots, and bubbled up from there with ideas and opinions about what's important to Canadians. Right now they are on their 4th stage I believe, which is the declaration for change.

LeadNow is one of the larger umbrella organizations encouraging the recent vote mobs which began with Guelph: Watch their video here

It's because of these initiatives that I have faith Canada will see a rise in voter turn out this year. These and the fact most sensible Canadians get shivers anytime they think of what Canada might look like should Harper gain a majority. Here are 2 great sites to look at
1. An article from Rabble (look around their site and there's a lot of choice to pick from)
2. A overview video of Harper's corruption

Whatever your views please make sure you vote. You can do today, tomorrow, the next day up to April 26th at your local elections Canada's office and then again on the final day May 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment