|The finished product!|
Then I figured out how to make pot pies only better. I even have a (not-so-)secret special sauce that came out of a mistake the first time I made them. You just must try this pot pie!!
You will need (for 2 pies):
- Root vegetables
- 4 small potatoes, 1 small turnip, 4 carrot, 1 parsnip (I actually forgot the turnip in mine, but it's all your own preference)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil to drizzle
- A handful of Broccoli
- A handful of Cauliflower
- 1 Sweet potato
- 1 package of Bechamel sauce (pictured below)
- 4 pie crusts (2 bottoms, 2 covers -they often come 2 in a box, thus 2 boxes)
- 4 hours (don't worry, it's mainly a waiting game that you can speed up if need-be)
- Peel and chop up all your root veggies into chunks (excluding the sweet potato).
- Salt and pepper to taste on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil.
- Slow roast for three hours on 250 Fahrenheit.
- In a rush? Though I haven't tried it I'm sure you could up the temperature and take out once they're all soft.
- Wait for 2.5 hrs before continuing.
- Peel and slice the sweet potato in smaller the better chunks.
- In just enough water to cover the sweet potatoe in a large pot bring water to boil.
- Once the sweet potatoe has lost most of it's shape /is soft enough to make into mush add the Bechamel Mix. You may need to add more water then the package says since you also have the sweet potato. The water can be replaced with milk if you like.
- If it's not thick enough you may wish to add flour.
- Adding any drippings from root veggies.
- Boil a medium sized pot of water
- Add Cauliflower
- Wait a minute then add broccoli
- Wait max of 5 minutes and remove veggie from water.
- Alternatively use a veggie steamer.
- Poke holes with a fork in each pie and bake for 10 minutes approx.
- While on a baking tray fill 2 bottoms with an equal amount of root veggies (you may wish to chop your root veggies smaller)
- Repeat with steamed veggies.
- Pour sauce on top, don't worry if it's not level, just as long as it doesn't go over the sides.
- Place your tops on, pressing sides together with a fork if possible.
- Bake on 300 Ferenheit for 30-40 minutes.